water, energy (definately not *nix related)

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 27 13:09:48 UTC 2004

William Park wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 08:45:16PM -0400, Byron L. Sonne wrote:
>
>>Greetings,
>>
>>Does anyone on the list know if there is any substance, preferably
>>liquid, that holds heat energy more readily and has a higher capacity
>>for heat storage than good ole H20?
>

> Not sure about the specific heat number, but how about oil (motor oil,
> cooking oil)?

As I recall, the advantage of oil, was the ability to withstand
temperature and to lubricate.  In auto engines, the oil cools the hot
spots and moves the heat to a location, where the water/glycol can cool
it.  But I believe the oil doesn't hold as much heat as water, at the
same temperature.  In automatic transmissions and some aircraft engines,
the oil is used to both lubricate and cool, without using water/glycol.