postscript purgatory & the callsheet - (long and twisty with links)

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 27 03:17:22 UTC 2004

In my ongoing personal quest to tame the organizational tiger, I am
attempting to re-create that indespensible film production tool: the
callsheet. For at least a decade, I have wished I could wake up to a
freshly printed and personal callsheet, that's totaly script driven, and
I /almost/ have it working ! I'm planning to sourceforge it as soon as
it's near useable) and have registered callsheet.ca just in hopes of
expanding to a comprehensive production service site (someday, but
that's another story).
	The hardware: a PIII500 w. 512m RAM and an HP2100M laserjet (that I
just got) via parallel.
	The software: Mandrake 10.0, bash, scat, a perl weather script and
another for sunrise/set.
My PIM data is palm pilot centric, using pilot-link, jpilot, and some
handy pilot CLI tools; pclt.
HTML is the intermediate browsable format and postscript, mighty
postscript is to be the engine that brings this thing to the page,
thanks to txt2html and html2ps and psutils.
	The challenges; to cull data from the pilot and the web (working, could
improve) transform that data into an html page with navigation to other
pages and then to ps for print (working, could use a lot of
improvements) and what should be the easy part; printing the the
resulting callsheet.ps 2up, manualy duplexed (flipped over) has proven
elusive ! I

Q#1
if a2ps is the heart of the psutils, shouldn't my a2ps-site.cgf have
something about the HP2100M laserjet, rather than "unknown printer" ?
where would I get the right printer config file/ data ?

Q#2
if I want to print out in a boolet form, 2up, I think I should use the
psutils but in what order ?
a2ps filename.ps | psnup -2up | psbook -s4 | psmandup _ lpr ???
or what ? I can't seem to find a working sequence.

Q#3
I am starting to /get/ the concept of virtual printers, and would love
to just fire ant ps document at "printer.callsheet" or whatever. Is
there an painless way to set that up ?

Has anyone got a handle on this ps stuff ?
Thanks a bunch !
djp

--

mdk http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-us/