retrocomputing: driving 'miss' daisywheel

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 27 02:34:19 UTC 2004

Christopher Browne wrote:
>>Thanks, all. I found the old termcap entries, and it's definitely not
>>EBCDIC, as it just understood ASCII with CRLFs. A venerable polymath
>>of my acquaintance (Ted Harding -- mathematician, linguist, troff
>>guru) has offered some additional help, so I think I'm set.
>

> I really wouldn't have expected EBCDIC; that was only ever pushed by
> IBM, and I'd be _really_ surprised to see EBCDIC hardware with a
> Centronic parallel interface.

I believe in the original message, he said it was an IBM printer and I
don't recall mention of the connector.

Incidentally, many moons ago, I used to support a system, built around a
Datapoint 2200 terminal.  This terminal had a CRT, keyboard and dual
cassett drive.  It connected to a serial line to a mainframe in
Montreal, in EBCDIC, local printers in ASCII, remote printers in BAUDOT
and a card punch & reader with Hollerith code.  All this with only 16 K
bytes of memory.