York University FirstClass Client

Austin aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 27 02:22:56 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 22:13 -0400, Moniz Family wrote:
> Does anyone know anything about York's First Class client? My wife is
> taking a course and they have asked her to download the client from a
> web site. Of course, it only comes in a Mac and Win version. If there's
> an equivalent linux client I could use, that would be great, otherwise I
> am going to have to install win98.

Well, I'm a York science student, and we have to use SciFinder all the
time.  Of COURSE there's no cross-platform version.  I tried installing
it through wine and it failed.

The secret for me was to install Win98, boot into win98, install
scifinder, then boot back into linux, configure wine to use /mnt/windows
as the windows root, and then scifinder ran perfectly.  I use it all the
time without any problems.

Dunno... may help.

Austin