water, energy...

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 27 02:05:10 UTC 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, John McGregor wrote:
> > Does anyone on the list know if there is any substance, preferably
> > liquid, that holds heat energy more readily and has a higher capacity
> > for heat storage than good ole H20?
>
> Yes, Glycol. It is the liquid of choice for heat exchangers.

As of my (slightly old) edition of Marks' Standard Handbook for Mechanical
Engineers, refrigeration glycols are usually solutions of one of the
glycols in water, and their specific heat ranges from slightly less than
that of water to considerably less.  They are used not because they are
better heat carriers, but because they freeze at lower temperatures; for
cooling applications it's often necessary for the circulating fluid to be
below 0degC in some parts of the plumbing.

It's really rather hard to beat water for this.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org