water, energy (definately not *nix related)

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 27 02:02:35 UTC 2004

Byron L. Sonne wrote:

> Does anyone on the list know if there is any substance, preferably
> liquid, that holds heat energy more readily and has a higher capacity
> for heat storage than good ole H20?

What sort of temperatures are you looking at? From the few minutes I was
actually awake during heat engines classes, I seem to remember that
water has different specific heat capacities with temperature.

If you really, really need to get heat away from a very hot thing in a
hurry, there's nothing to touch liquid sodium. It's what they used to
use at the Dounreay breeder reactor in Scotland. Of course, being a
highly reactive metal with a melting point just below the boiling point
of water, there are some issues involved in its handling. ;-)

I think you'd have to have a fairly specialized application to beat
water on price, availability, toxicity and general inertness.

You might get a better answer on Talk Energy <http://talkenergy.com/>,
which is basically Slashdot for energy nerds.

  Stewart