OT: Weather stations

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 27 01:46:03 UTC 2004

Fraser Campbell wrote:

> Let's say I wanted to continually measure/record temperature, wind speed,
> humidity, barometric pressure and precipitation.  Is there such a thing as a
> personal weather station which can be mounted on the roof and interfaced with
> my PC?

Yep. I build weather stations.

Systems that are cheap and can do the job include Davis Instruments
<http://davisnet.com/>. I think that True North Power
<http://www.truenorthpower.com/> in Lion's Head (near the big-ass wind
turbine on the Bruce Peninsula) are the local dealers.

Davis make some wireless systems that mean you don't have to drill for
cables. They unfortunately have a very sucky website which just crashed
Mozilla for me.

If you want more accuracy and reliability, you'll have to go for
something custom from Campbell Scientific. These are absurdly expensive
(esp. considering that their loggers use 1970s microcontroller
technology), but they are good enough to produce bankable data for
building $100M wind farms. You probably don't need this.

I've heard you can use the Davis system with Linux. Here's just one
example: <http://www.joejaworski.com/weather/>.

cheers,
  Stewart