retrocomputing: driving 'miss' daisywheel

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 25 15:18:47 UTC 2004

I'm hoping there are geeks out there venerable enough to remember
something about printing to a daisywheel. I just scored an IBM
Wheelwriter 10 Series II 6783 typewriter with parallel print option from
Freecycle.

There's nothing about printer codes in the manual, and seemingly nothing
on the net about controlling it. Dunno if it'll talk Diablo or Qume
codes, but even these seem to have almost entirely dropped from memory.

cheers,
  Stewart

[ why bother?

  1. The print quality from one of these is fabulous; sharp, with a
slight indentation into the paper.

  2. It works. My Epson inkjet complains bitterly (and sometimes
expensively, by demanding new cartridges) if it's not powered up at
least every month. This IBM hadn't been turned on for 10 years, but
powered up and worked first time.

  3. It was free, and is gloriously mechanical.

  4. Why *not* bother? :-)
]

--
$,="\n";foreach(split('',"\3\3\3c>\0>c\177cc\0~c~``\0cc\177cc"))
{$a++;$_=unpack('B8',$_);tr,01,\40#,;$b[$a%6].=$_};print @b,"\n"