new cable modem - and problems

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 25 18:45:58 UTC 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Matt Cahill wrote:

> I'll keep this short:  I have no clue what happened, but I'm connected now.

Imho you're not done yet. Try to switch back to the ethernet cable. See if
the ether cable is twisted (it should be straight through but check your
modem docs). The 'solid' light simply means the connection is saturated.
This is not good imho. It should flicker indicating some spare time on
the link. For me switching from USB to ethernet on a Terayon cable modem
jumped the speed from 75k to 100k (long time average). And the light
flickers, it's not steady on. Maybe your modem is different.

Peter