Boot from Usb Key

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 24 16:19:46 UTC 2004

<jon.dmml-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> it modified my mbr but how would I use that newly modified mbr to my
> advantage?

Please don't top post, it makes it hard to follow the discussion.

As to how you would use the spblinux boot block to your advantage, there are
a couple of options.  First, you could install spblinux (not just the boot
block) to your USB key and boot it.  I haven't tried spblinux but I believe
there are instructions for doing this on the web site and/or in the download.
Alternatively, you could install another small Linux on your USB key and use
only the spblinux mbr.  One I use is RIP:

    http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/

Download the bootable CD version (RIP-11.1.iso.bin) and the mkusb.sh script
and follow the instructions about installing to USB flash in the README.  To
use it with the spblinux boot block, make sure you install RIP to a partition
(i.e. /dev/sda1) and not the whole device (/dev/sda).  Make the RIP partition
active with fdisk then install the spblinux mbr to your USB key:

    # dd if=spb2_mbr.sec of=/dev/sda

Finally, boot your USB key.  If it won't boot:

    a)  you did something wrong :-), or

    b)  your key isn't bootable (at least not with spblinux), or

    c)  you have USB disabled in your BIOS, or

    d)  your BIOS can't boot from USB pen devices,

with (d) being the most likely, in my opinion.  As I said at the beginning of
this thread, many BIOSes lie about being able to boot from USB.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada