Linux based n-way router?

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 24 16:08:58 UTC 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 08:09, Scott Allen wrote:

> I'm thinking of using Slackware Linux and the FireHOL iptables
> generator script, since my experience with both has been quite
> positive. FireHOL looks like it would make it easy to set up and
> maintain all the "virtual" routers required (see:
> <http://firehol.sourceforge.net/> ).

Linux distro is pretty much irrelevant for a firewall although you'd probably
want to avoid those that are targetted to the desktop.

I looked at firehol right now (for about 60 seconds) didn't like the looks of
it.  That's probably just because I'm used to shorewall and it's config
files ... I'm sure firehol is capable, it's probably best to go with what
keeps you comfortable, once deployed I expect you'll rarely be changing
firewall rules anyway.

> We would like to have all workstations configured from a DHCP server
> (plus whatever Windows domain configuration is required) on the
> backbone. This means the router whould have to be a DHCP relay agent
> (and more?).

That shouldn't be a problem, as far as I recall it's "dhcrelay -i eth0
server", once for each interface, if the networks share a common dhcp server
then one instance of dhcrelay should do the trick.

> Any suggestions on what hardware would be required? There seems to be
> a few sources of quad and 6 port ethernet adapters, and I've read
> that at least Intel and D-Link ones have Linux drivers.

There are 4 port cards from DLink we had pretty good luck in the past with
DFE570TX but chances are you can't get that anymore.  There's a new one (580)
based on the sundance driver, the old one was tulip (or de4x5).  We've had
some duds from both batches but overall I think the 570s were better.

I think Syskonnect makes 4 port gigabit nics, they are probably pricey but I
expect they're good.

You should consider throughput.  I'm sure today's normal PCs are capable of
saturating many 100Mb networks, Gigabit I am not so sure ... there is
probably a bottleneck in there. I'll leave the math for others though since I
have absolutely no idea ;-)

Someone else already mentioned this but I'll add it as well, build 2.  2
identical systems with heartbeat makes failover trivial, it will save you a
lot of stress.