new cable modem - and problems

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 24 01:00:19 UTC 2004

Matt Cahill wrote:
> Wednesday, September 22, 2004, 2:53:36 PM, you wrote:
>
> JK> Matt Cahill wrote:

>>> James,
>>>
>>>   Good points.  I'll check it out when I get home.  What kinda p's me
>>>   is that, although the technician left the box & cables that came w/
>>>   the modem, there was no instruction booklet.  Thus, the 'standby
>>>   switch' has only been revealed to me now :)
>>>
>>>   Regarding the modem status page, I'm assuming that any browser will
>>>   do?
>

> JK> Yes, I use Konqueror.  Maybe you should ask Rogers for a manual etc.
>

>  James,
>
>  Still no luck.  I tried browsing to http://192.168.100.1, but I might
>  as well have been browsing any other website - no connection.
>
>  More info:  I'm using dhcp/dhcp-client.  Would switching to dhcpd
>  make any difference (probably not, but I'm starting to run out of
>  options here)?

You might try dhcpd or even a static address.

>  This is the error I get when running '/sbin/dhcp eth0' (or 'networking
>  restart'):
>
>  #-----
>
>  DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
>  "                                              "interval 15
>  "etc..."
>
>  No DHCPOFFERS received
>
>  No working leases in persistent database.

Is there anyway you can hook up a hub and another computer, running
ethereal?  If so, you could see what's happening on the wire.

>  #-----
>

>  The PC Activity light on the modem flickers when the computer tries
>  to access the DHCP server, but it never remains solid
>  (I take it that yellow is the right colour?).

Mine's on most of the time, but flickers.  However that flicker could be
due to traffic in either direction.

>  Lastly, when I re-installed a different version of dhcp, I noticed
>  that there were passive errors (as opposed to show-stoppers)
>  regarding my locale settings...apparently it can't find some of them.
>  Not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but I thought I'd
>  put it out there.
>
>  Anyhoo, if anyone can suggest anything, I'm all ears.  My next
>  attempt will be to bring home a bootable Linux CD (Knoppix or
>  Mandrake Move) and see whether I can connect via that route (which
>  would prove/rule-out a configuration problem with Libranet).

Can you try another computer, that's running Windows?  If that fails
too, there's no way Rogers can use their "we don't support Linux" excuse.