Selection criteria

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 23 14:37:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 09:13:44AM -0400, Phillip Mills wrote:
> I hope this doesn't generate any kind of "my distribution can beat up
> your distribution" argument, but I'm interested in knowing what
> selection criteria people used when deciding to put Linux on a system.
> In part I wonder whether there's any agreement that requirement X leads
> to solution Y, and in part I'd like to examine whether a new Linux user
> should be steered one way or another depending on what they need to get
> out of it.
>
> (If you've had reasons to put different distributions on different
> systems, that's really interesting!)

Slackware in all my machines, because
    - it's the only one which can be installed using shell script.
    - it's small (2GB full install), and library dependency is none
      issue.
    - all files are where you expect them to be
    - rc.* are BSD style which is easier to maintain
    - it doesn't overwrite any of my changes (like Redhat)

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>