Going about beta-testing a program... advice?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 23 04:11:06 UTC 2004

Anton Markov wrote:
> Actually, MySQL is licenced under a commercial license _and_ GPL, which
> does allow free commercial use. Your license does not. That is
> definetely a stopper if you are trying to get community involvement, but
> at least your boss gets to make some money, so it's not necessairely a
> bad thing.
>
> As far as the market niche goes, I definetely see the need for a
> new-generation user-friendly backup program. Something that is designed
> for USB HDs and CD/DVD-R media, not tape. The only GPL alternative I
> know is DAR (and KDar), but they still lack the user-friendly element.
> (I know about Mondo, but it was too inflexible so it didn't worked as I
> wanted).

Really? I didn't think that was possible. I will need to look into how
MySQL does that and maybe I can get my boss to agree to that same
license for our program. I just posted a more detail (kind of
markety-ish) list of what the program can do so far. If you are curious
that might help show what niche it might fit into a little better. My
biggest aim through out was to make it as easy to use (once installed)
as possible. I hope I did well, I guess time will tell.

It doesn't support CD/DVD-R (as I mentioned in the other reply) though
it is something I have already started to plan for. It's simply hasn't
reached a high enough point on the priority list. If you and others ask
for it though I will give it a higher priority and get it working.

Thanks for the reply!

Madison