TM Server

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 22 02:40:12 UTC 2004

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:52:25 -0400, Lennart Sorensen
> <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 04:31:01PM -0400, The Edge of the Ice wrote:
> > > I would personally avoid any HP desktop machine on the basis that they're
> > > fugly proprietary plastic toys.  I don't know about their PC servers.
> > > I have seen
> > > some of the old HPPA workstations...THOSE were cool (or hot, depending; t
hat
> > > dual 180MHz box with a 1200W power supply probably has a non-trivial BTU
> > > rating).
> >
> > Yeah, but the OS sucked and the price tag was insane.
>
> Correction: the price tag _was_ insane.  These puppies can be had for
> just a couple of hundred dollars, are probably still more reliable
> than consumer PC parts, and will strike envy into any visiting geek.
> And you can run Linux on them now, too, so the OS no longer has to
> suck.  ;)
>
> BTW, take me with a grain of salt; I've never actually had to deal
> with one of these boxen personally, I've just got friends who do.

HP hardware is noted for being _way_ reliable, at least when you go past
"Pee Cee" stuff.

But these old PA-RISC boxes are pretty dramatically underpowered by any
modern standard.  If it's got a GB of memory, I'd pay a couple hundred
bucks, but it's much more likely that they have 32-64MB, and are
realistically toys.  I think it would be pretty neat to get an SGI
Indigo; that's nonetheless unlikely to be as potent as a low end Athlon
with a half-decent 64MB graphics card.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxfinances.info")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html