TM Server

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 21 20:22:59 UTC 2004

At 08:48 AM 21/09/2004 -0400, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
>Andrew Hammond wrote:
>>Teddy Mills wrote:
>>| I have selected no hardware or software yet.
>>|
>>| Below are my ideas, please read them and reply to the TLUG list or myself
>>| with your
>>| ideas and advice.  I thank you all, I'll be sure to be at the next
>>meeting!
>>| I missed the  last one just 2 days ago! Ack!
>>|
>>| /teddy
>>|
>>| PS:
>>| I know O'Reilly has a book out called Managing RAID on Linux. Im getting
>>| that book asap.
>>|

>>| *********
>>| FUNCTION:
>>| *********
>>| To build a LINUX MYSQL4 production server to handle from 100-5000
>>small(<1k)
>>| database transactions daily.
>>MySQL is an unsuitable choice for serious database work.
>
>Hmm, why do I only ever hear pg users say this?

Maybe they have more clues.

>I use both pgsql and mysql; they both do the job. Our mileage is clearly
>varying.

That hardly sounds like a ringing endorsement.

>For the level of transactions mentioned by the OP, even SQLite will be
>more than adequate.

The number of transactions is only one of the criteria. If you ever need to
generate a report that requires GROUP BY, for example, you will rue the day
that you selected a database on the basis of the number of anticipated
transactions.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation