bash shell env change - copy/paste etc

Chris F.A. Johnson c.f.a.johnson-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 21 19:21:20 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Qiang (James) Li wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I am wondering where do i enable the highligh copy/paste thing in bash environment?

     Highlighting and copy and paste have nothing to do with bash.

     If you are using an xterm window, it is enabled by default.

     If you are using a virtual console, you need to run gpm (I don't
     remember the necessary options; read the man page).

> also, the ls command result shows the file/directory in some
> uncomfortable colores, how do i make the permanent changes?

     Use dircolors.

     Create a file with:

dircolors > $HOME/.dircolours

     Then edit the file (it will be commented to make it quite easy),
     and implement the edited file with:

eval `dircolors $HOME/.dircolours`

     Put the eval line in your $HOME/.bashrc file.

--
 	Chris F.A. Johnson                      http://cfaj.freeshell.org