Raid 5 performance

Martin Duclos tchitow-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 21 19:01:17 UTC 2004

Hi all!

I've decided to install a raid 5 on a file server at home. CPU is pentium
120MHz with 64M ram. I know it's rather scarce but my question is, is there
a way to measure where the biggest performance hit will be? I want to know
of a way I can monitor which compenent is the bottleneck. Will increasing
memory improve performance? Will faster CPU make a difference? I'm looking
for a real technique (ie numbers) from which I can get a better
understanding. I've looked at google groups and all I can really find are
opinions and vague references to "if you have this or that it might give you
better..."

Thanks

Martin Duclos

MSN® Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling
get-togethers.
first two months FREE*.