TM Server

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 21 15:27:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 09:53:12AM -0400, The Edge of the Ice wrote:
> Correction: the price tag _was_ insane.  These puppies can be had for just a
> couple of hundred dollars, are probably still more reliable than consumer PC
> parts, and will strike envy into any visiting geek.  And you can run Linux on
> them now, too, so the OS no longer has to suck.  ;)
>
> BTW, take me with a grain of salt; I've never actually had to deal with one of
> these boxen personally, I've just got friends who do.

I spent 4 months doing development work on them, and 4 months doing tech
support before that.  It took a week of downloading and compiling to get
gcc, full x headers, decent shell (anything but csh), and everything
else to the point where doing real work was possible due to the horrible
OS and awful compiler HP provided, and lack of proper header files for
parts of the OS (those did come in HP-UX 10, but they were missing in 7,
8 and 9 even with loud complaints from the customers about it, HP said
'buy our compiler, it includes header files').

I have no idea how the speed compares anymore, but given what speed
machine I can buy new for $400, the HPPA boxes better be around $50.

Lennart Sorensen