TM Server

The Edge of the Ice jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 21 13:53:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:52:25 -0400, Lennart Sorensen
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 04:31:01PM -0400, The Edge of the Ice wrote:
> > I would personally avoid any HP desktop machine on the basis that they're
> > fugly proprietary plastic toys.  I don't know about their PC servers.
> > I have seen
> > some of the old HPPA workstations...THOSE were cool (or hot, depending; that
> > dual 180MHz box with a 1200W power supply probably has a non-trivial BTU
> > rating).
>
> Yeah, but the OS sucked and the price tag was insane.

Correction: the price tag _was_ insane.  These puppies can be had for just a
couple of hundred dollars, are probably still more reliable than consumer PC
parts, and will strike envy into any visiting geek.  And you can run Linux on
them now, too, so the OS no longer has to suck.  ;)

BTW, take me with a grain of salt; I've never actually had to deal with one of
these boxen personally, I've just got friends who do.

--
taa
/*eof*/