TM Server

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 21 13:27:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 08:48:38AM -0400, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> Hmm, why do I only ever hear pg users say this? I use both pgsql and
> mysql; they both do the job. Our mileage is clearly varying.

Is there any other choice than mysql and postgresql?  Of course the
postgresql users are the ones complainining about mysql, often because
theyt already tried mysql and found it lacking in many features they
required for their work.  Other peopel find mysql just fine for their
work, and don't complain and wonder why the postgresql fans are
complaining about mysql.  Until you see something missing that you need,
you think your tools are perfect.  Maybe you won't ever find anything
missing.  Sometimes you just don't realize your life could be made
easier by some more advanced features because you are used to how it
works now.

> For the level of transactions mentioned by the OP, even SQLite will be
> more than adequate.
>
> I've never met a standard that's more observed in its breaking than
> otherwise.

Well personally from an admin standpoint I always found postgresql much
nicer to deal with than mysql.  And from doing development, psql you can
do real work in, while the mysql command line util is just painful (it
won't give you table lists, or anything else useful for doing things).
Unless you go use mysqlcc or something like that, it's nearly impossible
to do anything easily.  This isn't a fault in mysql as a db, just in the
tools they provide the developer/admin to work with.

Now when it comes to complex queries and subselects and such, postgresql
tends to have mysql outdone by a lot, but they do have different design
goals in mind, and hey choice is good right?

Lennart Sorensen