CD data recovery?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 21 10:45:37 UTC 2004

Henry Spencer wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, John Macdonald wrote:
>
>>there's no way that a rejoined disk could handle the stress
>>of the current rotational speeds.  (I recall hearing that
>>they were approaching the limit of the structural strength of
>>the glass disks, and would not be increasing much beyond the
>>current speeds.)
>

> The current disks (which are plastic, not glass) in fact cannot take being
> spun at (say) 50x normal rotation rate, even though the label on the drive
> does say "50X".  There's some specsmanship there, based on the fact that
> you can get the data rate up to 50x nominal at much lower rotational rate
> if you're working near the outer edge of the disk.  A 50X drive delivers
> 50x the data rate only in the most favorable part of the disk.

And, due to CD layout, only full disks will ever use that 50X space,
though you could always pad the disk, so that the data is at the outside.

Incidentally, I believe you mean linear rate, not rotational.  If
rotational, the outer tracks would be spinning faster or slower (RPMs)
than the inner tracks.  That would definitely cause the disks to
fracture, no matter how fast they were spinning.  ;-)