Going about beta-testing a program... advice?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 20 21:31:39 UTC 2004

Hi all,

   After nearly six months the backup program I have been writing for my
company is coming alive (it's backing up data, backing up multiple
sources and spanning destinations simultaneously, etc...). The next step
I guess is to start asking brave souls to beta test it and so here I am
yet agin hoping for advice.

   The biggest caveat is that it isn't a GPL program though it will be
free to use by home users and the source code will be made availbale to
all to see (though not to use in other programs). We're banking on the
honesty of companies and their desire to see us succeed (and to a lesser
extend they're desire to operate legally, though we aren't that naive :p
) to win sales. I do expect my company will release it fully under the
GPL once they see that they can recover their develepment costs and
survive but that isn't for sure and I don't want to have anyone offer to
help with false promises.

   Given that caveat how would people here suggest I go about
beta-testing? The program is quite alpha-stage and it should definately
-not- be run on a machine with valuable data yet not one that can not
afford to be down. Beyond standard error reporting I am also hoping for
feedback on how to make code more secure and efficient. Particularly the
database access portion of it which is a massive bottle neck.

   Should I setup Bugzilla (or something similar) or would that be
overkill/a distraction for a program this early into it's development?
What can I expect to come in so far as feedback is concerned? Just what
should I expect?

   Beyond this general question would this be something people here on
TLUG would be interested in beta-testing (given it's non-GPL license)?
If so, should I give more information in another post or should I have
people email me? Would people like a more detailed example of what the
program is?

   Any advice is greatly appreciated. This is one of the largest
projects I have ever been involved in and I am nervous that I will mess
it up or upset the community with a mis-step. :p

  Madison