CD data recovery?

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 20 21:05:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, James Knott wrote:
> I've never heard of such as service, and you can be sure it would be
> very expensive, if even possible.  Anyone attempting such a recovery
> would have to rejoin the pieces, to extremely close tolerances.  Even
> then they'd still have problems recovering the data.

However, given that the break won't be perfectly straight and will tend to
align itself, I wouldn't be surprised if a join to close tolerances wasn't
that hard, with the right equipment.  You'd want to spin a patched-together
disk slowly, mind you.

Given how much error correction is built into the format, I suspect there
wouldn't be that much trouble doing an acceptable recovery, if the
alignment was close enough that the head servo could maintain track
following across the break.

(Still, I agree with the general conclusion that unless he's really nuts
about this particular music, recovery is probably too expensive...)

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org