weird mail problem

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 17 18:30:38 UTC 2004

On September 14, 2004 11:56 pm, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> This mail does not arrive back at my laptop:
> Sep 14 23:27:18 smeagol postfix/smtp[2783]: A8A8E3A5CA:
> to=<emmajane-MHIYrZpDPrNWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>, relay=smtp.istop.com[66.11.168.194], delay=11,
> status=sent (250 Ok: queued as 8718117C10D)
>
> This mail arrives safely:
> Sep 14 23:36:43 smeagol postfix/smtp[3454]: ED4D93A5CA:
> to=<mkelly-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>, relay=smtp.istop.com[66.11.168.194], delay=9,
> status=sent (250 Ok: queued as D53B717C260)

A month ago (or more) I had a problem with my email being rejected.  It turned
out that if you send from a machine that is not listed as an MX for your
domain then they reject your mail ... of course they don't seem to be
rejecting it in your case, and I don't know if you're sending using
@istop.com  or @xtrinsic.com.

In my case my MX was listed as georgetown.wehave.net but reverse dns had it
named drcrane.tor.istop.com.  It took quite a few emails to support for me to
figure out what was going on ... mainly because I failed to read between the
lines ;-)  They changed my reverse dns and are now happily (I think)
accepting my email.

Note, this wasn't simply a matter of A and PTR records being mismatched (they
actually weren't) they thought that only mailservers listed to receive mail
(MX) should have the right to send mail ... might be a very good anti-spam
measure but I would expect the false positives are high.