I decided to go for 64bit.

Adil Kodian akodian-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 17 21:46:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:02:27 -0400, Andrew Hammond
<ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org> wrote:

make sure you *DONT* use the Sil3114 RAID features - if you have 2 sata drives.

preferrably disable the on-board RAID conntroller and use software
RAID on linux.

the Sil3114 is a nightmare - it works without any kernel compiles only
on FC2, but the data rates that ive gotten on 2 test machines is
terrible.

With two mirrored Disks, the disk to disk data transfer rate i get is
about 8Mbps ! It works ok with striped disks- but then if you ever
dual boot your machine with windows, it cant see the raid - and
complains about drive geometry being incorrect.  If you go ahead and
install windows, then linux wont boot properly !