CD and ISO question

The Edge of the Ice jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 17 17:13:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:59:42 -0400, fcsoft-3Emkkp+1Olsmp8TqCH86vg at public.gmane.org
<fcsoft-3Emkkp+1Olsmp8TqCH86vg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Now the dumb question as I'm new to writable CDs on Linux.
>
> How do a make a cd containing just the iso?   Presumably its not a simple
> matter of copying the file ... or is it?

Use mkisofs to create a B.iso file that has as its contents the
Original.iso file you want to
have posted; burn this B.iso to a CD and mail it.  You could also use
an app like
k3b to do this; instead of telling it to "burn image", just drag the
Original.iso file into
the file list pane for a data CD and burn!

It's also HIGHLY recommended to make an md5sum of the .iso file, just
to ensure that
it actually made the trip without any errors.

$ md5sum Original.iso | tee Original.iso.md5
606f17347e37d173789caa41d1163620   Original.iso

Burn the .md5 file to the CD as well, or e-mail it, or whatever.  To
check at the
other end, one would run (with both files in the current directory):
$ md5sum -c Original.iso.md5
Orignal.iso: OK

--
taa