Partitioning for new distro install

bassix bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 17 16:33:29 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm planning on installing Arch Linux (anyone here use this?) on a win
xp machine for dual-booting. Reading the manual for Arch installation
http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/guide/install/arch-install-guide.html
, mentions separate root and boot partitions (for the automatic setup)
http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/guide/install/arch-install-guide.html#commoninst31
, but says all that is needed is a swap and root partition
http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/guide/install/arch-install-guide.html#commoninst32
, and would this pose any problems? I'm just trying to decrease the
number of partitions on my physical drive (ntfs, fat32, swap, ext3).

Thanks for any pointers!