weather script

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 17 14:31:49 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 11:03:04PM -0400, Scott Elcomb wrote:

> > I would be good, I bet, I any of the ftp hosts would open up !
> > Connection refused on the 6 canadian servers I tried.
> [...]
> > the learning continues.
> always.  :)
>
> Using the download link at
> http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/M/MN/MNAGUIB/Weather-Underground-2.19.tar.gz
>
> you should be able to
> - save the tarball,
> - cd to the directory it was saved in,
> - tar -zxf Weather-Underground-2.19.tar.gz
> - cd into the source directory
> - perl Makefile.PL
> - make
> - make test
> - as root, run: make install
>
> I haven't done it that way in a while, but I'm pretty sure that was how it went.
>
> I'm not terribly familiar with configuring the CPAN shell either, but it's invaluable
> for installing new modules when working properly.

On Debian there is a convinient system of:
dh-make-perl --build --install --cpan Weather::Underground

This then goes and downloads the module requested from cpam, extracts
it, sets up the build to create a debian package from the perl module,
make the debian package and installs it.  Now your dependancy tracking
and all is fulyl working, and you can remove it later using the same
tools that manage all the other packages on the system.

Pretty handy.

Lennart Sorensen