Switching Linux Distros

Matt Cahill m-cahill-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 17 04:22:45 UTC 2004

On September 16, 2004 04:31 pm, StreetSmart wrote:
> Hello, I currently have mandrake 10. But I want to switch to slackware 10.
>
> First Ill tell you about my computer. P3, 866, 512ram. Two harddrives
> (30gb, and 80gb) right now im running lilo, with mandrake and XP.
>
> My question is. How can I install slackware? Can I do a clean install over
> mandrake?
>
> Thanks,
>
> AdamR

Not sure if it's the same with the latest release of Slack, but usually if you
want to boot into a GUI by default, there are two ways, but Method 1 is  the
most common:

(posted at:
http://www.linuxpackages.net/faq/index.php?sid=19672&aktion=artikel&rubrik=012001&id=8&lang=en)
********************
Configuration: How do make Slackware startup to a GUI

Method 1:
 Edit the file /etc/inittab
 Find the line that says id:3:initdefault:
 and change it to
 id:4:initdefault:
 Reboot and you will be started at a graphical login.

 Method 2:
 In your /etc/lilo.conf file add this entry:
 image = /boot/vmlinuz
 root = /dev/hda1
 label = Linux-GUI
 append = "4"
 read-only

 Then at the CLI type lilo to update the bootloader.

 Use caution with method 2 and make sure that the image location, and root
device are correct for your system.

Last update: 2004-04-16 15:49
Author: Jim

Hope that helps,