FC2/Gnome, Screencapturing Javascipt popup

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 17 04:48:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Madison Kelly wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  I'm writing the documentation for my program and throughout it I am placing
> screen captures of all the screen items. One of those items is a javascript
> popup bubble with extra information. The problem is that when I press "Print
> Screen" on my keyboard to capture the screen the javascript popup bubble
> disappears (as does the mouse pointer) and the capture doesn't show the popup
> bubble.
>
>  Is there a way that anyone knows how I could capture the popup bubble? Any
> other technical writers out there? :p Thanks!!

Use the default x11 screen capture program or xv. It allows you to capture
'after a set time'. So you start the capture program, trigger it, go to
your application, and popup whatever there is to popup. When the delay
expires the window where the mouse is (and the poppup or whatever) will be
captured. The delay is 2 seconds by default afair (in xv) and can be set
to any value for the command line tool. Another tool to check is import
(from ImageMagick toolset). The X11 screen grabber is called xgrab (gui)
and xgrabsc (no gui). There is also a tool in kde to do that.

Peter