64-bit CPU

The Edge of the Ice jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 16 16:18:43 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:49:47 -0400 (EDT), Peter L. Peres
<plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Andrej Marjan wrote:
>
> > Hmm.. interesting. I had always assumed that MMX allowed you to do 64 bit
> > integer arithmetic directly, but based on a bit of googling, I can' find any
> > arithmetic support for "quadwords", only for "dwords". SSE doesn't add this
> > support either. Does SSE2?
>
> Afaik dword = 2*32 bits = 64 bits, qword = 4*32 bits = 128 bits, no ?

No, since a byte is 8 bits, a word is 16 bits, hence making a dword 32 bits and
a qword 64 bits.

Though that all depends.  Some DPSs use 24-bit words.  It depends on your
definition of "word."  Naturally, "classical" usage of such words (in computing,
in music, and in any number of other jargon-filled fields) isn't always clear
compared to "modern" usage due to a muddled history.

--
taa
/*eof*/