XP and Linux

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 11 05:17:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, John Wildberger wrote:

> On Friday 10 September 2004 05:59 pm, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>
>> An example of a rescue disk on steroids is knoppix ;-)
>>
>> Peter
> I am missing something here. The original problem that suggested the use of a
> rescue disk was to re-establish my hda5 that was shifted to hda6 by having
> added a FAT32 logical partition ahead of the hda5.
> How would  knoppix know where the /etc/fstab of my corrupted system is to be
> found?

knoppix does not know but usually it's the first non-windoze partition in
the list of partitions and knoppix has all the tools you need to do it,
including making icons for all prtitions found so you can look for
yourself using the gui desktop. Then you open an editor and edit it.
Running lilo requires opening a shell of course.

Peter