Power Surge Protection

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 9 20:25:17 UTC 2004

A UPS or a Surge Protector will work if indeed it was a line surge that
caused the failure. But I suspect that many so-called 'surge failures' are
actually power supplies that fail in Frankenstein mode. The surge protector
and UPS can't help with this at all. A properly designed computer power
supply should have a crowbar circuit that clamps the output even when a
catastrophic failure occurs internally.

I went through this a while ago with my wife's machine. The power supply
failed spectacularly, taking out everything in the box. OTA claimed this was
a line generated surge failure, but there were several computers on the same
power line at the same time that were unaffected, so that didn't wash. Very,
very reluctantly and after some hard bargaining, OTA gave us a new machine
at 'cost'.

I think one's best insurance is to have a high-quality power supply in the
box. Competitive pressures to produce a high-power supply for a tiny cost
result in marginal supplies that fail in this manner. The power supply is an
unsung component in the computer, but it's critically important. (The
invention of the switching power supply is one of the things that makes a
modern computer cost and size feasible for consumers.) Spend some money on a
good power supply, don't just take whatever comes in the enclosure.

My 2 cents worth.

Peter

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 12:20:15PM -0400, Devin Whalen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> My motherboard just recently blew out (or whatever you want to call
> it).  My computer just stopped working and when I looked at the
> motherboard there was this thick grey dust all over it (well centred
> around the cpu).  Needless to say, I had to buy a new motherboard and in
> turn a new cpu,memory,power supply and hey why not a new case...so 400
> and some dollars later and I have a working machine again.  I was told
> that it was probably a power surge.  Currently, I have a power bar, but
> I am told that this is not enough.  What should I get to ensure this
> doesn't happen again?  What does everyone here use?  Thanks.
>
> Later
>

> --
> Devin Whalen
> Programmer