bash limits ?

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 9 23:33:15 UTC 2004

Hi, where do I find the limits with which bash was compiled ? For older
and newer bashes ? I believe that I am trying to do something that exceeds
a hard compiled limit in bash and it fails in mysterious ways.
Specifically I have variables that contain lists of thousands of numbers.
Some of them seem to disappear ...

So what is the maximum number of arguments that can be passed to a for ...
construct, or their maximum length ? And what are the other limits ?

Peter