Hello, been a while, dual CPU mobos

The Edge of the Ice jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 9 16:14:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:01:58 -0400, Michael Laccetti
<michael-1DHYbOjWH/jDO7Nk1fN4cQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> P4s rely on their raw speed to keep them competitive, because of their
> extremely long pipeline.  The newer versions are at least 20 stages, perhaps
> even longer.  AMD, and the P3s/Pentium Ms (not Pentium 4M) have a short
> pipeline.  Of course, they can't scale to be as speedy.  My Pentium M 1.7

What I mentioned has nothing to do with the length of the pipeline, and applies
to specific opcodes which tend to be common in certain workloads (compilation
and crypto both qualify for "lots of bit operations" afaik).

> competes quite well with my Pentium 4 2.8 in terms of compilation times, the

How does either compare to this, though?  (I'm honestly ignorant of the Intel
chip branching):
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Mobile CPU 1.80GHz
(DDR266 RAM)

As I said, this machine kicks its sorry ass for compilation speed last I checked
(nonscientifically, granted):
cpu family      : 6
model           : 7
model name      : AMD Duron(tm) Processor
(running at 1GHz, DDR266 RAM running at 200, due to the Duron's 100MHz FSB)

> only thing that holds it back is the DDR 333 vs. the DDR 480 (yay
> overclocking) in my workstation.  That, and the laptop HD is quite a bit
> slower than the workstation.

That may well be true, but is mitigated by doing make -j2 or -j3.  :)

As it stands now, I'm caught between upgrading the CPU to an Athlon 2400+,
or going all-out for a new mobo, AMD64, etc.  Only "problem" is that I hear that
PCI-Express is the next, greatest thing in PCs, and I haven't seen a single
AMD-compatible motherboard with it.

--
taa
/*eof*/