Hello, been a while, dual CPU mobos

Byron L. Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 9 05:37:34 UTC 2004

 > You asked for the "Most Bang for the Buck"

When it came to dual SMP motherboards and CPUs! That's all... I wasn't
asking for the underlying analysis that begat this whole question of
mine to be criticized. Otherwise I would have said "Most bang for the
buck; should I go SMP or not, and why?" That's the main damn reason I
didn't volunteer any information. I figured if I did, people would tell
me 'go run some stats program, check your configuration and report back
your findings, you don't need SMP'.

It would seem that perhaps there were thoughts where it was assumed I
wanted SMP for some specious or idiotic reason of some kind, and it was
someone's duty to talk me out of it. Either that or it was interepreted
as an occasion for people to hop on the soapbox and show how smart they
are. Both of which I hoped to avoid, but it seems found me anyways.

This is not to say that there weren't useful or amusing replies! Lennart
came across well as usual, and William Park's response was hilarious!
(btw William, now you can say that someone spending their own money is
talking about a cluster ;) Which brings me to a secondary and minor
concern; I didn't particularly want people to know that I was
investigating assembling a cluster. Strange things happen and strange
people come out of the woodwork unbidden when cries of 'Cluster!'
reverberate through the air...

I'm not as cranky right now as I probably come across as, but I just got
done dealing with some clown on another list and I'm kinda exasperated.

Regards,
Byron