Hello, been a while, dual CPU mobos

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 8 21:27:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 04:54:36PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:04:12 -0400
> Byron L. Sonne disseminated the following:
>
> > When I can buy a single CPU that runs at 96 GHz, let me know.
>
> You could make your own:
>
> http://www.beowulf.org/
>
> You just need a couple dozen boxes with decent CPU's, and yer on yer way!

Who's going to pay for the electrical power, heat/air conditioning,
circuit re-wiring, etc. ?  This is insane.  The only people who ever
talks about cluster is government entity or pre-IPO, neither of which is
spending their own money.

    - You don't need cluster to do weather forecasting.  Just go outside
      and stick your fucking tongue out.  All weather computing can be
      done on a 486.

    - You don't need cluster for space program.

    - You don't need cluster for nuclear weapon research.  Just get
      enriched Uranium or Plutonium, and use your dick to separate the 2
      halves of critical mass.  Here, size count.

    - You don't need cluster for number crunching.  You already know \pi
      is irrational number, and never need more than 6 significant
      digits.  Just get 2-GHz AMD64 this year, 4-GHz AMD64 next year,
      8-GHz year after that.

Nobody spending their own money ever talk about cluster.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>