firewire card

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 8 17:32:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 01:24:04PM -0400, Michael Hong wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a pci firewire card.  Has anyone used this one
> listed at Canada Computers, http://www.canadacomputers.com/io.html :
>
> BT FireWire IEEE 1394A Card w/ software and cable (SD-FW)  $28
>
> It's about half the price of an Adaptec card but I can't find any
> information on it at http://www.linux1394.org/ or anywhere.  Does
> anyone have this card, know what chipset is on it, or know if it will
> work with linux?

I don't know that one, but almost all firewire chips are OHCI1394
compliant as far as I know.  So it is likely to work, but if possible go
check the chipset first.

I have considered getting a firewire card, but think I will just go get
a new motherboard with dual channel ram and usb2.0 and firewire and
sata for about $120 instead.  I will need new ram of course, but I can
also upgrade the cpu as well then.  I am thinking the athlon 64s are
starting to look cheap enough to buy (socket 754 3400+ is decent).

This of course adds up to probably $800 in upgrades, which is why I
haven't done it yet, and which is why I don't have firewire yet.  Every
upgrade is just a little more than the one you were looking at and then
you want just one more thing, etc... :)

Lennart Sorensen