Relocating to Toronto

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 8 16:56:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:40:42AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:38:29AM -0300, Tim Goodaire wrote:
> > I'm looking for some information, before I move to Toronto. I would like
> > to know what my options are for ISPs, and which ones you folks
> > recommend. In particular, do you know if any of them block port 25? All
> > of the ISPs here in Halifax do, which is rather annoying if you're a
> > geek who wants to run their own mailserver at home. What about
> > connection speeds? Customer service?
>
> I believe sympatico blocks port 25.  I think rogers has their user IPs
> in most blackists for sending mail, so I guess that works about the same
> as blocking port 25.

Sympatico started blocking *incoming* smtp just over a year ago,
which is when I moved to eol.ca.  They have blocked smtp coming
out of customer systems for many years.  (Relaying outgoing
email through their server wasn't too much of a hardship and
even offloaded the queue and retry if the destination was
temporarily unaccessible, but blocking incoming smtp meant
that you can't run your own domain using a dynamic DNS service
to keep your IP address current and I have never had any use
for my ISP-provided email address except for receiving their
service info.)

Service from eol.ca has been fine, but I've only once had any
reason to call them in the past year so I don't have a large
history of interaction to rate them on (which is, of course,
a *good* thing).  Like istop, they do not insist on you running
Windows before their service people will talk to you.