Hello, been a while, dual CPU mobos

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 6 21:21:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 05:01:19PM -0400, Byron L. Sonne wrote:
> Well, it's not always about bottlenecks you know... sometimes a bigger
> hammer doesn't help you solve a problem nearly as fast as a bunch of
> smaller hammers. It depends on the nature of the problem.

Perhaps, but knocking down a wall with 10 one pound happers is likely
not going to be faster than one 20 pound hammer.  Getting an old SMP box
costing more than a new single cpu machine is usually silly, since the
single cpu machine will have more processing power than the SMP
machine's cpu's have combined, and it will have newer faster memory and
newer faster disk access.

> Be surprised. The way I work, I find that an extra arm comes in handy
> more frequently than one realizes. Especially where clustering comes in
> to play. I'm not a windows user, ya know ;)

Most of us try not to be windows users.

SMP is a very good idea, but only if you have already exhausted what you
can get in a single cpu machine.  Adding lots of fast cpus is great.
Lots of slow ones usually isn't.

Lennart Sorensen