Hello, been a while, dual CPU mobos

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 5 22:22:30 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 03:14:01PM -0400, Byron L. Sonne wrote:
> I'm thinking, once again, of easing myself into some hardware upgrades
> for home. In particular, I want to pick up an SMP system or 2. I'm not a
> gamer, so wicked graphics performance isn't a huge concern as long as I
> can do 1280x1024 in 24 bit colour. Don't need a whole lot of HDD space
> (40GB would be fine) and 512MB should be enough for memory. Hell, all I
> really need is a barebone system with MB, CPUs and maybe memory (since
> all I got now is SDRAM).

Well, I have dual-P3, but any current single-cpu blows it away.  If you
have to ask about SMP, then you don't need it.  Instead, spend the money
on extra harddisk (for backup/spare), more RAM, printer, DVD, better
monitor, better case/power supply, etc.  Even SCSI disk will give you
better bang for the money than extra cpu.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>