Hello, been a while, dual CPU mobos

Byron L. Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 5 19:14:01 UTC 2004

Greetings all,

Wow... been quite awhile since I posted to the list. The new job (well,
~4 months or so now) has had me kinda busy but in a good way. So I
thought I'd drop in and say 'Hello again' to everyone.

I'm thinking, once again, of easing myself into some hardware upgrades
for home. In particular, I want to pick up an SMP system or 2. I'm not a
gamer, so wicked graphics performance isn't a huge concern as long as I
can do 1280x1024 in 24 bit colour. Don't need a whole lot of HDD space
(40GB would be fine) and 512MB should be enough for memory. Hell, all I
really need is a barebone system with MB, CPUs and maybe memory (since
all I got now is SDRAM).

I remember there was a Toronto company that dealt with making fairly
high end linux systems, w/ SMP, Promise cards, etc. I can't remember the
name so if anyone else does, let me know! Otherwise I'll just ask for
peoples experience, or the latest street wisdom, as it pertains to SMP
motherboards and CPU availability. I'm somewhat CPU agnostic, so I don't
really care if it's AMD or Intel. The 'Most Bang for the Buck' is what
I'm looking at hear, and the smaller the form factor the better. And, as
if to show that I'm truly becoming an old man, the quieter the system
the better, too! ;)

Normally I'd just hit the computer alley (College&Spadina) but perhaps
it's time I branch off and start investigating what's available up
Markham way or elsewhere. I'd even drive a healthy amount of km to
another town if there was a kickass shop or person that offered
something outstanding.

BTW, here's my new fantasy (look at the DS-96):
http://www.orionmulti.com/products/descriptions

Later,
Byron