Dead circuit boards needed

Andy Jack f.e.jack-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 2 13:50:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 09:26:33AM -0400, Peter Hiscocks wrote:
> I'd like to have my engineering students do an exercise in desoldering and
> resoldering some surface mount chips. I'm hoping that someone has a source
> or knows of a source of dead circuit boards that could be used to practice
> on. Earlier this year we had lots of them at Ryerson but our department has
> just moved into a new building so there was a purge of the 'junk'. (This
> illustrates one of the corrolaries of the Law of Maximum Aggravation:
> Immediately you dispose of something it will become useful.)

Hi Peter; I don't know if you're hoping for "dead + free" or "possibly
dead + cheap" boards, but the last time I went to Active Surplus on
Queen they still had boxes upon boxes of WD8013 ISA NICs.  This was
prior to their reno, so the boxes might not be in the basement anymore.
The nics are sufficiently old that all the functionality isn't squashed
into a single chip, and there's always the nice big PROM socket to work
on.  Plus the boards are small and easy to handle.  I'd not be surprised
if you went to the cash with a big box of 'em you could get a nice bulk
discount ;-).

Cheers,
Andy