Problems with PROMISE Card in Linux

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 2 13:17:23 UTC 2004

On 29 Aug 2004 22:32:40 -0400
Paul King <pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I have a PROMISE card which has some unformatted LINUX partitions and
> some Windows partitions. It detects under Windows, but is only detected
> by the kernel under LINUX.

Paul,

   I had problems with my Promise card too.  What follows are my personal notes on setting up my Promise card.

Setting up the Promise Card

   There are no instructions on the Promise website on setting up
   an  Ultra100TX2  card for Linux. I emailed their support about
   this,  and they sent me a document, in Word format, of course.
   This covered the setup of Red Hat 6.2 and 7.0.
    1. Boot Red Hat from the CD.
    2. When the graphical installer comes up, hit [Ctrl][Alt][F2]
       to get into a virtual terminal.
    3. From the terminal, type "cat /proc/pci | less".
    4. They  describe  the  sequence  you are supposed to find. I
       found   the   following,   copied  labouriously  from  the
       screen...

Bus 0, device 12, function  0:
  Class 0180: PCI device 105a:4d69 (rev 2).
    IRQ 11.
    Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=18.
    I/O at 0xb800 [0xb807]
    I/O at 0xb400 [0xb403]
    I/O at 0xb000 [0xb007]
    I/O at 0xa800 [0xa803]
    I/O at 0xa400 [0xa40f]
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd5000000 [0xd5003fff]

       Write  down the first four values, starting from 0xb800 in
       this  example.  The  "0x"  indicates  that the value is in
       hexadecimal  format.  The  remaining  four  digits are the
       hexadecimal number.
    5. The next thing I was to do was to type in...

ide2=0xb800,0xb402 ide3=0xb000,0xa802

       Note  how I added 2 to the second and fourth values that I
       pulled off the previous output.
    6. Reboot.  I  could  not  find a (re)boot commmand, so I hit
       reset.
    7. When the boot prompt comes up type...

boot:  linux ide2=0xb800,0xb402 ide3=0xb000,0xa802

       The  Promise instructions said to use the word "text", but
       I  used  "linux"  instead.  The  word  "linux" selects the
       standard  graphic  install. The word "text" causes a plain
       text install.
    8. The  instructions  describe  how  to configure LILO to use
       these boot parameters. On Red Hat 8, we are using GRUB. We
       will get those parameters in somehow.

   When I booted Red Hat 8.0, it (something) found the Promise card.  Anaconda did not find it.  Here are my boot loader notes.

Boot Loader

   I  agreed to a boot loader on /dev/hde1. I have entered a boot
   loader  password,  and  I clicked the "Configure advanced boot
   loader"  button.  This  is my chance to enter the Promise card
   values into the boot line, automatically.

   The   next  thing  it  asked  me  for  were  the  boot  loader
   parameters. I entered my Promise card boot string.

Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard-42qnO8ePF9cV+D8aMU/kSg at public.gmane.org
http://home.eol.ca/~hgibson