hello again - and a question about Rogers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 1 15:33:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 07:56:14PM -0400, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> Really ? That's interesting. I see 100k real speed on a terayon cable
> modem (128 k connection). How much faster can one go ? Considering all the
> dumb arp traffic on the cable, I'd say you can't go faster. Of course I
> don't know about Rogers. Maybe they have more switches. It would be
> interesting to know how much speed one can gain by switching modems ?

I managed to transmit at I think 130KB/s on a terayon in Waterloo back
in 1999, on a brand new segment with 3 or 4 users on the entire segment.
Downloads often hit 300 to 340KB/s.  Not sure what docsis actually
allows for up and downstream rates.

Needless to say I have never seen anything like those speeds on rogers
in Toronto.  Shaw in Bolton was close, but when rogers took over the
speed just dropped (along with reliability).  I haven't used rogers for
about 4 or 5 months now so i have no idea what may have changed since.

Lennart Sorensen