linuxcaffe; distros and desktops

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 29 23:48:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Taavi Burns wrote:

> AFAIK all of the currently implemented transparency schemes involve heavy
> communication between the X server and the X client: the X client does the

X is heavier than GDI but to be honest the only really bad bit is the
negotiation of colour mapping between the server and client.  Once you get
past that X is quite snappy even over a relatively slow encrypted ssh
session (without compression).

I regularly start Mozilla from inside our company network and display it
at remote sites so I can access certain web based apps like our tracking
system.  Bandwidth usage is low enough that nobody cares.

I also start and use X apps from my server in Australia from time to time.
Ie I'll actually be interacting with the app.

People used to use thinclients on 10Mb/s hubs (and slower).  On a 100Mb/s
switch it is a breeze.

I'll actually be demonstrating a Linux based thinclient at Penguin Day
(Nov 20) and will be starting various apps from Australia to show it does
work.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.