UK Govt supports OSS

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 29 14:09:42 UTC 2004

I agree with this opinion too.

They basically say that for the server part Linux is now considered a
mature platform and combined with server consolidation it can represent
significant savings as an evolutionary solution.

However, for the desktop side OSS is "not yet there" and still needs some
polishing.

The server consolidation business is fairly active these days, many
organisations just woke up and realized that managing a farm of hundreds
or thousands of under-utilized UNIX or M$ servers is not the best. We can
now find powerful x86 boxes with Linux that represent a very
cost-effective option to proprietary Unix solutions, especially when
consolidating.

There are several public services (and private organizations) in
north-america that have already switched to Linux as a server platform and
are very happy with it.

There is even a "mainframe Linux" just announced in August from Unisys,
which will offer a true multi-processor Linux (SuSe and Red Hat) solution
built as a mainframe, with partitions and all, in 32 and 64-bit versions.

http://www.unisys.com/products/es7000__linux/index.htm

It's getting there!

 François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>