linuxcaffe; distros and desktops

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 29 04:02:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Taavi Burns wrote:

> I've heard reports of people who have that working...but it would take a
> bit of tweaking, and I would NOT expect it to have anything near
> acceptable performance on a thin client (not until the X servers and window
> managers support TRUE transparency, composited on the client).

Hi Taavi.  What do you mean by True transparency composited on the client?

Do you mean the WM should run on the client?  It can be done (NCD used to
offer it as an option) but I don't see it making much of a difference in
performance.  I've been a user of thinclients for years and have been very
happy with performance.  Performance of thinclients is often underrated I
find.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.