External address forwarding

Ilya Palagin tux-4CS0UopE6WdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 28 18:20:25 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to find solution for an iptables related task.  There is a server
with external address, which is supposed to be behind a Linux firewall soon.
Right now it's behind the Sonicwall firewall, which provides with address
forwarding.  It means the following:

Internet <---> 198.182.196.56_Sonicwall_172.18.1.1 <---> 198.182.196.56_Server

Is there a way to set up the same with Linux?  I know that this layout is not
correct and the Server's address must belong to the internal network, but
reasons for doing this are:
1.It works with Sonicwall (which sucks), why shouldn't it work with Linux?
2.It'll take time to reconfigure the Server, any down time is not desireable.

Thanks,
Ilya.